Back to Home Page
River Shuttle Procedure
When paddling rivers, TCP normally goes on a one-way downstream trip.The Event Organizer will coordinate a vehicle shuttle to ensure that everyone has a way to get themselves and their boat back to their vehicle. A couple volunteers are always needed to do an extra drive to shuttle people/boats. Please be willing to volunteer!
Main considerations to determine how best to run a shuttle:
- Vehicle passenger capacity
- Availability of vehicles which can carry extra boats
Normal shuttle procedure:
- Everyone meets at the put-in & unloads their boats and equipment
- Organizer determines # of drivers, vehicle capacities, vehicle boat capacity.
- Request volunteer(s) to:
- - Bring drivers back from take-out to put-in (prior to paddling trip start)
- - Provide a ride to any paddler/boat back to their vehicle at put-in (end of trip)
- Most times, at least one non-driver stays with boats at put-in to watch boats & gear.
- Drivers only, convoy their vehicles to take-out.
- Depending on # of drivers & vehicle capacities, one or more vehicles are used to transport drivers back to put-in.
- Paddlers go on river trip.
- At trips completion:
- - Need volunteer(s) to provide a ride to the person/boat whose vehicle is back at put-in.
- - Other paddlers can load their boat on their vehicle & go home.
Example: 12 paddlers, 10 vehicles:
- 12 boats/gear are unloaded at put-in
- The 2 people who came as passengers, stay at the put-in to watch boats/gear.
- 10 drivers convoy their vehicles to take-out.
- 2 volunteers use their vehicles to drive all 10 drivers back to put-in.
- At end of trip, 2 new volunteers are needed to give the original 2 volunteers and their boat a ride back to the put-in.
- The other 8 paddlers load their boats & go home.
If no one has the capacity to transport the original volunteer’s boats back to the put-in:
- Someone stays to watch the boats of the original volunteers
- A ride is given to the original volunteers back to their vehicle at the put-in
- The original volunteer drives back to the take-out to pick up their boat.